Greek-Inspired Power Bowl
This Greek-Inspired Power Bowl is full of protein and veggies and it can easily be doubled to serve the entire family! The healthy vinaigrette and marinade are entirely home-made. Crispy chickpeas substitute the typical croutons- cook for 20 minutes and they’ll be crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Cook for an additional 30 minutes, and they will be super crunchy. This meal gets all its flavor not from unhealthy fats but from spices and herbs. Basil and mint add a definite freshness to the salad while chili powder adds a spicy kick to the crispy chickpeas.
Greek-Inspired Power Bowl
Ingredients for Marinade:
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Greek seasoning (or 1 teaspoon each of dried basil and oregano)
- 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper (use less salt if there is salt in your Greek seasoning)
- Zest and Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
Ingredients for Vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil
Ingredients for Crispy Chickpeas:
- 15 oz. can chickpeas or garbanzo beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder or cumin powder (optional)
Ingredients for Salad:
- 1 head red leaf lettuce, washed, dried, and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cucumber, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons minced basil
- 2 tablespoons minced mint
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta
- To marinate chicken: combine all ingredients in a Ziploc bag and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
- To make vinaigrette: combine all ingredients and whisk until vinaigrette has emulsified.
- Crispy Chickpeas: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Wash, drain, and thoroughly dry the chickpeas. Combine chickpeas, olive oil, and seasonings on a small sheet pan. Roast 20 minutes for chickpeas that are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Roast an additional 30 minutes if you are looking for very crispy chickpeas.
- Grill chicken: On a grill pan, over med-high heat, cook chicken 4-5 minutes per side or until chicken registers 165 on an instant read thermometer. Remove to a cutting board and allow to rest 10 minutes.
- To assemble salad: In a large serving bowl, toss lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, basil, mint, and feta with half of the vinaigrette. Lay sliced chicken on top of salad and sprinkle salad with crispy chickpeas. Serve remaining vinaigrette on the side.