Better than Take-Out Fried Rice
I cannot overstate the importance of Thai Sweet Chili sauce for living a happy and successful life. It is wonderful- sweet and slightly spicy, it really packs a punch, and it is perfection in this fried rice recipe. Please don’t be tempted to leave it out. Plus, this dish is entirely vegetarian- it is filled with snow peas, julienned carrots, scallions, and kimchi. For those of you who may be intimidated by having never cooked with some of the Asian ingredients listed below, I promise you, this recipe works. Don’t worry about having half a bottle of Thai Sweet Chili Sauce in the fridge- you will be making this recipe again and again. Also, please note that the rice must be cold, or else it will clump and not fry up properly.
Better Than Take-Out Fried Rice
- 1 ½ cups Carolina long-grain rice
- 8 oz. snow peas, sliced in half on the diagonal
- 4 eggs
- Salt and Pepper
- Vegetable oil
- 3 carrots, julienned with a vegetable peeler (cut into very thin strips)
- 4 scallions, sliced thin
- ½ cup finely chopped kimchi, optional
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- Mae Ploy Thai Sweet Chili Sauce, for serving
- Several hours before you wish to eat, bring 1 ½ cup rice and 3 cups water to a boil in a stockpot, lower to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes, until rice is tender. Refrigerate rice until cold.
- Steam or boil the snow peas, until tender. Set aside.
- Wisk eggs and season with salt and pepper. In a large wok, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Pour in the eggs and cook for about 45 seconds. They will still look a little wet. Remove to a plate and break up eggs into small pieces.
- Add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil to the wok, then add the rice and cook until it is heated through and starts to crisp on the bottom, about 10 minutes. Stir in the carrots and scallions, then the kimchi.
- Add the soy sauce and sesame oil and stir to combine. Add the eggs and cooked snow peas. Season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with a tablespoon or two of Thai Sweet Chili Sauce.