This recipe for stuffed mushrooms is modeled off of Julia Child’s recipe in Mastering the Art of French Cookingand they are delicious! Dry sherry, which works fantastically in nearly every mushroom dish, adds amazing flavor to the mushroom filling. The cheese browns in the oven creating a perfect crust on top of a perfectly cooked mushroom. Julia used white button mushrooms, but I always prefer cremini mushrooms- they just have so much more flavor. Serve them as appetizers and they will fly off the serving tray. They can also be served as a light lunch along with a salad. I like to serve them alongside a spring mix salad with balsamic vinaigrette.
Serves: about 1 dozen mushroom caps
Adapted from Julia Child’s Champignons Farcis
- 8 oz. container cremini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 finely chopped large shallot or 4 thinly sliced scallions
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons fine Italian seasoned breadcrumbs (not panko)
- ½ cup grated Swiss cheese, divided
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons very finely minced parsley
- ½ teaspoon tarragon (dried is fine)
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Take stems out of mushrooms and place the caps on a small sheet pan. Brush the tops and bottoms of the mushroom caps with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sprinkle the mushrooms with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the mushroom stems. In a sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive over med-high heat. Add shallot or scallions and the mushroom stems and cook for 3-4 minutes, until shallot is translucent and stems are beginning to brown. Add sherry and cook until liquid has almost completely evaporated. Remove pan from the heat.
- Into the shallot-mushroom stem mixture, add bread crumbs, ¼ swiss cheese, Parmesan, parsley, tarragon, and salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in the heavy cream.
- Fill each of the mushroom caps with the stuffing mixture. Top the mushrooms with the remaining ¼ cup of swiss cheese. Bake 15-20 minutes, until cheese is golden brown and mushroom caps are tender. Enjoy warm!
Leave a Reply